Depression is 20th century plague – this is definition mass media gave to depression, and this comparison with the worst Middle Ages disease arose not by accident: according to forecasts by 2020 depression will take first place among other diseases, ahead of today’s leaders – infectious and cardiovascular diseases; in the 21st century depression will become №1 «killer». Even today, more than 50% of all suicides are committed by people, suffering from depression.
Often people claim having depression without thinking what it really means. So what is depression?
Depression (Lat. Depressio – frustration, distress) is a psychosomatic condition, characterized by distress, anguish, sad mood, which may be exogenous (as mental response to unpleasant depressing event) or endogenous (as mood upsetion associated with physiological state). Depressive state is characterized by negative emotional background, deferred intellectual activity, changes in motivation sphere and general passive behavior. Subjectively, people in depressive state experiences, first of all, painful emotions and feelings – frustration, anguish, despair. Attraction, motives, will activity are sharply reduced.
Characteristic are thoughts about their own responsibility for various adverse and unpleasant events in their or their relatives’ lives. Sense of guilt for events in the past and feeling of helplessness for future are combined with sense of hopelessness. Self-esteem is sharply reduced. Behavior is characterized by loginess and lack of initiative, patient gets tired quickly and lacks energy and all this leads to diminished performance and even greater depression.
It is necessary to distinguish between functional depression, which can be observed at healthy individuals as situational response to a particular event (reactive depression), and persisting clinical depression. Depressive state can last from several weeks to several months. However, at prolonged depression this period may last for years. One of depression sign is hopelessness. At depression it seems that this state will last forever and future is envisioned in very dark colors, or, in fact, there is no future at all.
Diagnosis is established at presence of two major and at least two additional symptoms.
- depressed mood, which does not depend on circumstances;
- deferred intellectual activity;
- anhedonia – loss of interest or pleasure in previously enjoyable activities;
- expressed fatigue, exhaustion.
- sense of guilt, uselessness, anxiety and/or fear;
- low self-esteem;
- inability to concentrate and make decisions;
- thoughts about death and/or suicide;
- unstable appetite, marked weight reduction or gain;
- sleep disturbance, insomnia or oversleeping.
- facial expressions are not only mournful, but also frozen, sorrow expression is increased by Veraguth’s symptom; posture is stooped, when walking feet are shuffled; voice is quiet, muffled with weak modulation or no modulation at all;
- appetite and weight loss; patients with severe depression, in addition to weight loss, have «hungry breath odour», coated tongue and pharynx; permanent and sometimes very unpleasant and painful for patients somatic depression manifestation is intestinal obstruction;
- decreased libido, temporary frigidity and ischomenia at women, at men – reduced potency;
- less frequently observed some pain, neurological and muscular disorders;
- a number of discomfort and painful sensations that occur at depression, are connected to unstriated and skeletal muscles disorders, which include: unpleasant, drawing pain in neck area; similar sensations sometimes appear between shoulder blades, in scapular waist, in lower extremities, knees and crural region; spastic symptoms are not rare: calf muscles are cramped, often at night, to such an extent that patients in the morning continue feeling intense pain, calf muscles knot; at depression often occur sciatica attacks;
- there observed headaches, constricting back of neck, temples, forehead and shoots up neck, pains, resembling migraine, and pains, resembling neuralgia facialis vera; sometimes patients complain on algic syndrome, apparently due to pain limit decrease;
- a significant part of somatic disorders is often observed at the beginning of depression attack or precede it, and also observed at anxiety (especially relevant to muscular and pain symptoms).
Psychogenic (reactive) depression – always occurs after painful for patient event, often after severe psychic traumas. Although it is believed that depression severity in these cases is lower than at endogenous depression, suicide risk is high enough in this state. Besides common depression signs, clear connection between occurrence, course and completion of psychic «trauma» attack is typical for psychogenic depression. Patients’ behavior and speech are usually refer to actual situation, patients often exaggerate existing life obstacles.
Another psychogenic depression specific feature is high brightness, expressiveness and sometimes ostentation of emotional expressions. Also characteristic are expressed vegetative disorders. Depression can be caused by a variety of stressful situations ranging from most severe to everyday trifles: death of the loved one, loss of job, conflicts with family, loneliness, unfulfilled dreams, etc. Of course, when losing close friends and relatives, anguish and sadness are natural, but sometimes their depth and duration are so great that people have to seek for medical help. Less significant events also affect our mental health – gradually accumulating, they cause depression.
Depressive reactions may be of different types:
Endogenous depression (http://www.healthline.com/health/depression/endogenous-depression) – a certain percentage of people are vulnerable to depression without external reasons on complete well-being background. It is a chronic disease such as tuberculosis or hypertension, except for it causes not physical, but mental pain. Endogenous depression causes are determined by heredity or specific features of central nervous system mediators exchange responsible for emotional reactions (physiological reasons).
Exogenous or somatogenic depression – caused by external for brain reasons. This depression occurs at severe somatic, infectious or endocrine diseases. The main cause is internal organs functions disorders, chronic intoxication at prolonged infections or at body excretory function disorders, hormonal changes. Other causes – limitations imposed by disease (limited moving ability, hospitalization, etc.).
Latent depression – many people do not realize that they have depression while it is often masked by some somatic disease, and patients complain for heart or stomach disorders, but the real reason is completely different. These depressions are called latent. Often this depression is accompanied by such diseases as diabetes and cancer.
Dysthymic depression – a kind of depression called dysthymia. At dysthymia depression symptoms are not so expressed and people live mechanically for years without joy, like robot gradually getting used to this state, considering it normal. In fact, this condition also is depression, which can be treated.
Cyclic depression – characterized by pronounced depressive states cyclicism depending on time of year, moon phases, time of day, etc. Usually in the morning depression manifests stronger. Winter also often causes depression recrudescences. This is connected to daylight period duration reduction and, as a result, mood decline. That is why southern latitudes have lesser percentage of depression cases than in Europe.
Alcohol depression – a strong abstinence reaction experienced by some alcohol addicted people. It manifests in mental confusion, clouding of consciousness and terrible visual hallucinations. Also called alcohol withdrawal delirium.
Other types of depression:
agitated depression – such symptoms prevail as anxiety and restlessness: patients tear about, groan, cannot sit still;
adynamic depression – characterized by loginess, physical inactivity, inappetence;
hypochondriac depression – defined with alarming apprehensions or even assurance in severe disease presence;
asthenic depression – occurs with predominance of weakness, physical and mental fatigue, concentration disorders, hyperesthesia;
hysteric depression – manifests in hysterically marked affective disorders, exaggerated despair with weeping, seizures, convulsions, conversive astasia-abasia, tremor, aphonia and dissociative amnesia, hysteric hallucinations;
postpartum depression – occurs at average in 13% of women immediately after labor;
involutional depression – characterized by inability to positive thinking, optimism, occurring during age-specific changes;
Depression pharmacotherapy performed mainly with antidepressants.
Antidepressants is a class of mind-altering drug used primarily to treat depression. They improve mood, reduce or relieve anguish, weakness, apathy, anxiety and emotional stress, increase mental activity, normalize sleep phase structure and duration and appetite.
- Antidepressants of mainly stimulatory effect are used for depression treatment accompanied with loginess, apathy and anguish. At subpsychotic depression – preferable Pirazidol which may favorably influence depression anxiety component; for deep anguish or apathetic depression treatment such preparations indicated as Anafranil, Imipramine, Cipramil, Prozac.
Prozac is a drug that has become classical. Prozac (or Fluoxetine) is available at many pharmacies all over the world, including online pharmacies, such as My Canadian Pharmacy. We sell Prozac without prescription list and our qualified specialists are ready to consult you about its application and dosages.Besides, today you have a wonderful opportunity to buy medications, including Prozac, in our online service with 3% discount. To obtain My Canadian Pharmacy Coupon Code drop us an e-mail and we will answer it as soon as possible. We care about your health and wish you enjoyable shopping on our website.
Fluoxetine (Prozac) is used to treat depression, panic attacks, obsessive compulsory disorders, eating disorders (bulimia), severe premenstrual syndrome forms. Canadian Pharmacy Prozac helps to improve mood, sleep, appetite, energy level and able to restore interest to daily living. Prozac also helps to reduce various fears, relieve anxiety, reduce panic attacks frequency and block negative thoughts. The drug also reduces premenstrual syndromes, such as irritation, increased appetite and depression.
- Antidepressants of mainly sedative effect are indicated for anxious depression, unconscious anxiety, somber irritation treatment. At severe anxious depression (especially with suicidal thoughts and intentions) – Amitriptylinum; at slight depression with anxiety signs – Ludiomil, Azaphen; at poor antidepressants tolerance and high blood pressure – Coaxil.
- In mild cases herbal drugs are used: hypericin, St. John’s wort.
- In cases of severe mental and emotional disorders magnesium metabolism is disturbed – magnesium is rapidly excreted by kidneys from the body, and at the same time magnesium is necessary for adrenal glands to produce cortisol. Besides, magnesium is involved in all known neuropeptides synthesis and provides glycine activation. It is proved that magnesium in combination with calcium acts as natural tranquillizer, relieving psycho-emotional stress.